Variable speed blowers. Modulating gas valves. Discussions about which kinds of Energy Star furnaces will use what percentages of energy at a time to give a home the most efficient energy use. Complicated conversations about a very necessary component in today’s home.
If you have recently had to make a decision about keeping a two stage heat furnace or opting for a model without a variable speed blower, you likely understand some of the implications of purchasing a new HVAC system. And whether you are considering a top of the line Energy Star furnace or a less expensive model, you do have the same intent–keeping your space heated and your family safe.
Although some models offer a variable speed option for the individual units, you may still need to ask specific questions about how keeping a gas fireplace on in the upstairs bedroom will affect the rest of the house. In the top units, you would hope that it would not get as cold anywhere in the home because the air will constantly be circulating, but it is important to ask.
Consider some of these facts and figures about the many important decisions that home owners need to make if they are making sure that they are keeping their homes comfortable and safe:
- 66% of all homes in America have air conditioners.
- Although some new models achieve 97%, a percentage that is near-total efficiency, the lowest efficiency allowed by law for new gas furnaces is actually 78%.
- 15 to 18 years is the average life of a furnace.
- 30% of the average home’s energy budget is accounted for by heating water.
- Tankless water heaters typically provide hot water at a rate of two to five gallons a minute.
- If furnaces are more than 10 years old, most experts recommend that they be inspected once a year.
Finding the right heating and cooling system for a home or business is not only an investment in comfort, it is also an investment in the future value of a property. As the nation faces several more weeks of winter weather, this is an important time to make sure that you have a properly running and efficient heating system in place.
Trackback from your site.